By: Braeden Mincher, Social Media Manager
Facebook has been in existence since 2004, and here we are 10 years later still using it. We have all experienced the rise and fall of Myspace back in the day, but why are we still on the ever-growing world of Facebook? The thought of deleting your account has probably crossed your mind before but what is the reason why we still hold on tight to the social media giant?
Well, here are 10 reasons that may answer your subconscious mind:
- Facebook is an excellent way to keep in touch. Instead of waiting for the next holiday or family reunion to catch up on everything that has happened in the past few months, you can simply shoot your loved ones a message on Facebook or look on their profile to see what their latest endeavors were. Sixty-seven percent of Facebook users say that they have an account mainly to keep in touch with others. Facebook has been known to rekindle old romances or ignite a friendship lost from high school, so it has its perks!
- Facebook allows you to be nosy. Admit it; we all have been a creep on Facebook. Whether we are creeping on our ex-boyfriend, high school enemy or a random person, we all get curious to see what they have been up to!
- Facebook is our online scrapbook. It’s cheaper and simpler to upload pictures to Facebook rather than printing your pictures out and putting them in a scrapbook. It is easier to access cherished memories and relive old times (or delete embarrassing pictures you posted five years ago).
- Facebook makes for easier invitations and reminds you to go to an event. We now receive Facebook invitations for graduation parties, birthday parties, and random get-togethers. You can now easily send your 800+ Facebook friends an invitation to your house party this Saturday with just a click of a button.
- Facebook tells us things we never knew about a person. You can tell a lot about a person by just looking at their Facebook profile. You can see what they like to do for fun, where they live, where they went (or are going) to school, their favorite books, movies, and music, and their relationship status. But be careful, employers like to look at their potential hire’s Facebook to see if they get into trouble or if the employer thinks that person is a good fit with their company.
- Facebook reminds you when it’s someone’s birthday. You have to admit, this feature has come in handle a few too many times. It even allows you to see whose birthday is coming up. Because of this handy feature, you can now write a nice “happy birthday!” on someone’s wall or remind yourself to call the birthday girl/boy.
- Facebook allows you to categorize your friends into groups. You can keep your high school friends in one group and your professional coworkers in another. It can also bring people together with similar interests.
- Facebook lets us show off our latest accomplishments or humble brags. You can tell the world you got into the college you wanted or you had just landed your dream job. We’ve all everyone’s vacation pictures while we are sitting at home.
- Facebook can let us show off how funny we (think we) are. By commenting on someone’s pictures or posts, we can show our friends that we are actually a comedic genius, or perhaps not…
- Society expects you to have a Facebook. It is kind of weird if you don’t have a Facebook account by now.
By now you know that your company needs a social media strategy. We work with small to medium size businesses looking to add customers and grow profits.
Media Management Services Inc. offers a comprehensive program to help you effectively use social media. We believe that a successful social media campaign includes a solid strategy that includes audience engagement and interaction backed with state of the art analytics.