For years, many advertisers have relied on the yellow pages to be found by potential customers. But today, most consumers consult the web for products and services, phone numbers and addresses never bothering to even open the yellow pages. At my house, they go in the recycling bin immediately.
For this reason, where you rank in search engine lists is vital. Maximizing your name in listings is the way to reach customers and potential ones.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in search engines using "natural" or un-paid search results. These unpaid searches are often referred to as “organic searches.”
More than 90% of online users start with a search engine to find the information they are seeking. Organic search results are considered a more trusted source and have a higher click rate than paid search results.
It is important to note that the sooner or higher ranked on the search results page, and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users. The first page of a search engine’s results page gets 80% of the clicks.
iProspect reports that if your website isn’t listed in the top 30 search results no one will find it. This means they won’t convert to customers and they will likely go to your competition.
There are many ways to maximize your website.
1. Include important key words and phrases in your website content.
2. Use images and be sure they are tagged.
3. Use the meta description and include at least one keyword phrase. Google will often use your description in search results.
5. Update content on your web regularly. This encourages the search engines to analyize your pages more often.
6. Renew your domain name for at least 3 years. Many spam sites only buy domain names a year at a time.